As a Lead Funding Agency, CNES is solely responsible for the timely development and delivery to ESA the following instruments:
- Rover 2020 mission:
- Shallow Ground Penetrating Radar (WISDOM) and
- IR imaging spectrometer (MicrOmega IR)
CNES responsibilities include development models, associated GSE, software, test hardware and any other item needed to operate the instrument in the different phases of the 2020 mission, in accordance with the applicable ESA requirements. CNES will also provide to ESA the necessary support for delivery to the industrial Prime Contractor, integration and test, launch support, in-orbit commissioning, surface commissioning, surface operations and delivery of the scientific data to be ESA archive in an agreed format and, timely provision of scientific data to the scientific community.
As a third partie, CNES assumes the same responsabilities under the management of other LFAs, for a part of the following instruments:
- Rover 2020 mission:
- Close-Up Imager (CLUPI) under Switzerland PI-ship through ESA/PRODEX
- Gas Chromatograph/Mass Spectrometer analytical lab (MOMA) under Germany PI-ship
- Raman Laser Spectrometer (RLS) under Spain PI-ship
In addition to the French instrument contributions, CNES also plays the role of Prime Contractor Assistant for the ESA project group by providing a technical support team mainly centered around the lander entry into the Martian atmosphere, and the delivery of the rover's vision-navigation algorithms. This intervention is facilitated by the presence of CNES agents who joined the ESTEC project team. The nature of CNES' services concerns the following areas:
- The delivery to ESA, without funds exchange, of the vision and navigation softwares for the Martian Rover for the ExoMars mission and the corresponding technical support to relay their usage to the industrials partners of the ExoMars contract;
- The expertise for Esa's project to take into account the technical aspects for the entry / descent / landing phases, mainly:
- Environment specification,
- Heat shield,
- Flight dynamics during the entry phase.
In the framework of our support to the aerodynamics, CNES supplied a sensor, ICOTOM.